That simple question ranks as the most frequently asked question ever at Lion Country Supply. Andy Purnell has been gone a year now and I’d like to share some stories of this unique dog man who anchored our phone sales team for 10 years. His reasons for being late varied every morning but I always found them entertaining, so here are some of my favorites.
1) I slept in because we had an all-night bobcat chase into another county. It was awesome dude!
2) I had another flat tire …need new tires but can’t afford ‘em. Hint!
3) My beagle pup had her first long chase. I was too beautiful to stop.
4) I swerved to miss a bear and my dog box fell out of the truck bed and rolled down Rattlesnake Mountain. Buck, you need to sell a tie-down kit!
5) Dude, bunnies were everywhere this morning. You’re a dog man so you understand, but I’m on it now.
6) A rattlesnake bit ol’ Blue and his face swelled up like a basketball. They wanted $600 cash just for the anti-venom, so at 3:00 am I had to go get cash.
7) Some low life stole my coon dog! I knew they had him cause my GPS said he was doing 45mph across Penns Valley Road. Blue is fast but not that fast. I finally caught up with them at Red Oak Tavern. Their truck door was locked with Blue inside. I wrapped my chain tree tie lead around my fist and smashed the truck window and got my Blue out. Then went inside and offered to smash the guy who stole him and asked if he had any objections to his window.
This was as mad as I ever heard Andy get. But he didn’t cuss telling it and he didn’t woop the guy either. With the one year anniversary of his passing coming up on January 3rd, I still miss him terribly. I bet there’s some good hunting up there Andy, and you probably come into work whenever you want just like down here. I’m sure God is a dog man too.
Your old boss,
Let us know if you have a good story about Andy?